Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Digital Green Card

I consider myself to be a digital native. I was raised around electronics and watched (at times even helped) my dad and uncle build a few computers. My brother bought the original Nintendo when it came out, plus many of its successors; coupled with my love of computer games, I have become rather intuitive with technology. I have an odd ability to purchase the newest phone or computer and know, more-or-less, how to work it immediately out of the box. This is a great difference from digital immigrants who prefer "reading the manual for a program rather than assuming that the program itself will teach us to use it" (Prensky, 2001). I find this especially evident with my parents who routinely go to the manual for instruction or use a phone book, rather than using Google for directions.

It is important to realize, and acknowledge, that digital natives are neurologically developing differently. As I have gotten older and technology becomes more prevalent, I have found it more and more difficult to work cooperatively with my dad, who I would consider a digital immigrant. As previously stated, he will often turn to the manual, whereas I simply dump out all the parts and get to work, knowing the general concept. My dad has a habit of giving unnecessarily answers to simple questions, which also drive me nuts. This is, undoubtedly, because I have developed an affinity to "parallel process and multi-task" while my dad performs tasks "slowly, step-by-step, one thing at a time, individually" (Prensky, 2001) even though he has done it a thousand times before. I guess this is where the phrase "Old habits die hard" comes from. Anytime I try to get my dad to multi-task, he is always hesitant, but I think he understands the logic behind it. I just have to be the one leading the way because he will get lost.

My personal experiences with technology in the classroom are, I suppose, fairly limited. Aside from the typical Power-point presentation, I have had little else. I am familiar with how to use an overhead projector and the digital projectors in many of the classrooms here at Concordia as well. I have had a small amount of contact with SmartBoards, but only to the extent of effective navigation. In reflection, classes I learned best from were by instructors who used technology properly. For example, I took very little from an anthropology course which was ENTIRELY Power-point, with massive amounts of information on each slide. In contrast, I took a great deal of learning from an instructor who used Power-point to show pictures of ancient cities, coupled with a few bullet points, which he elaborated on. For this reason, I believe it is highly necessary for all instructors to understand how to properly implement technology in the classroom, because it can distract, or even degenerate, a student's learning and/or interest in a topic.

When I use technology in my classroom, I will be certain to use current technology. Seeing "ancient" technologies in a classroom often sets a disposition of boredom in before the teaching has even begun. I know that every time I came to class and an overhead projector was used, I found myself getting distracted more often. I will also be sure that technology is appropriate for what I am teaching that particular day. It is not always effective to use Power points or films in class. I think that many instructors, too often, will use technology as a "scape goat" because they were lazy in their planning for the day's lesson.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy how you use the real differences between you and your father as an example of the difference between Digital Immigrants and Digital Natives. Did you ever fell like your father's non-technologically wired brain made him in any way deficit in his ability to raise you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting how we are similar in age yet have different experiences with technolgy. I really like your point about using technology properly. I would agree with you that it is distracting and useless when used wrong. It is also a good point that technology is often a "scape goat". You will rock with your technology in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete