Monday, July 25, 2011

Presentations of Technological Genius

Well friends, we said our pieces and we showed our prowess on the presentation formats we chose and crafted to serve our distinct purposes. What do we have to show for it?
I noticed how difficult it was to step out of the bullet point style usage. We so often use these mediums as magnified handouts that state the information that we are also saying out loud. Sometimes this is affective and other times it's a snooze button.
I feel like prezi has a little more versatility than we all completely understand quite yet. It is interactive and the perspectives have the ability to be more engaging than your standard slide show.
I must admit, this is the first time I've ever even attempted a presentation with any sort of media that wasn't hand made... I was a fine arts major in undergrad. It was hard for me to interact with the tech part of the presentation and still get to the meat of my lesson. I found myself talking too vaguely and being distracted by whether or not my presentation was on the right target along it's path for the stuff I wanted to say with it.
After trying it out I have made some slight modifications and additions to my prezi that will hopefully make it a little more cohesive and user-friendly for myself the presenter and subsequently more interesting and engaging to the potential audience. I added some more reference images that flow in a direction of thought that I left out of today's presentation due to distraction. Also I modified to order and orientation of a couple of points in the attempt to make it more complete as a companion to the lecture part.
I enjoy the medium and I would like to get better at navigating its form and function. I can see it being useful in warming students up for a more hands-on in-depth activity or making a memorable lesson out of something that is important but cannot be directly interacted with. There is potential for humor and entertainment as well as focus and direct visual reference. Continued practice is where it's at. I can see the merit of it's use in the classroom... Becca's rap song is still going through my sub-conscious. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment