Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Social Networking Pickle

Here it is: Social Networking. For some the access is in the palm of their hands for others there is limited exposure and the significance of the intent slides up and down a scale of intensity. For the middle school classroom I see the presence being a given. Perhaps not all students will be on a network like facebook but they will all know about it. The realities of the networking system certainly hold potential threats like bullying and frivolity but I see the advantages of the medium when it comes to checking in with students who may not be as comfortable with speaking up in class. For me it doesn't pose a greater issue to implement a networking service for classroom discussion but more of a guidance forum. These kids will be using networks independent of the classroom model but if I can provide and model appropriate guidance and promote awareness of content implications while having a viable sounding board for class topics and discussions I believe that using this technology could be advantageous to all involved... including parents.

For use in the classroom I would implement something very basic, like a specially made facebook page for classroom topics only, or a blog site of it's like. The site would be monitored regularly by myself and kids would know the rules of conduct. I think that this could really be a helpful and fun tool to use in the classroom. As far as having a sounding-board for student or teacher complaints, like the Munroe case, that has no place on our classroom site.

Certainly by using this system there is a threat for "cyber-bullying." I believe that the likely hood of it is not as high due to the heavy monitoring and student understanding of it's implications on a class-related site. The subject will be addressed with students from the outset of the projects implementation and re-addressed continually throughout the school year. It will be a constant process of community building in and out of the classroom. As a monitor of the site I will be vigilantly on the lookout for any signs of misuse and I also think that parents consent and co-monitoring should factor into the process.

4 comments:

  1. I really think you are on to something there doktorpants. It did not occur to me that monitoring the class website could be accomplished by other students and parents as well. Maybe I'm just slow on the uptake, but I see a lot of wisdom in that idea. Not only are students probably going to be monitoring the web page more frequently than we as teachers have time to do, but in doing so you are also teaching those students responsibility and confidence in themselves. Letting parents monitor is also a brilliant idea, as they will hopefully want to be involved in any way they can with their children's education.
    I'm curious how you anticipate low SES students who might not have access to the internet, and therefore no access to the class website? Or what about the anti-technology parents who refuse to let their children use social networking like facebook or twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kurt I think that you bring up a really good point about different family rules. I know many parents who do not like their children on social networking sites, blogs or the such. This makes me wonder if a parent could excuse their child from the assignment. My parents were ridiculously strict with what movies and books I could read. I often was not allowed to watch the movies shown in class or read the assigned book. The teachers would give me a different assignment instead. Could you do this with social networking? It seems like a hassle to me but maybe accommodations will have to be met.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc,
    I am curious about what you meant when you included "parents" at the end of your paragraph. Do you plan on getting the parents involved in your class social networking or are you merely suggesting that it is advantageous for parents to have a strong web presence for the sake of their child?
    I think that inviting the parents to interact on the blog, facebook page, or whatever would be a great way of getting the parents actively involved in the education of their child and might even give birth to some healthy educational discussions around the dinner table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys, thanks for the comments. In answer to your questions I would say that I had not thought of the parents being involved in actually posting on the student community site but I think that this could be a good idea... as long as the parents posting is perhaps a specific area (like a separate but related group perhaps). I agree that it could open up some awesome diner table discussions at home as well as on the forum but I also don't want the kids to feel too intimidated by all kinds of parent feedback. It is to be a learning model for the students primarily.

    ReplyDelete