Saturday, July 16, 2011

On Facebook and Teaching

I agree with Renee Ramig’s claim that kids need to be taught how to use social network in a safe and responsible manner. That while in elementary school a teacher should guide them through the strange public/private cyber word. But thankfully I, being a high school language arts teacher, will not be the one who does it.

My relationship with technology will change some when I assume the role of student-teacher. For one, I will no longer be a member of the Facebook community. It’s that I don’t enjoy the immediate connection to everyone I have ever seen. The reason I am going to cancel my account is so that I don’t have to constantly monitor my profile or explain to students or parents why I have not accepted their friend request. Also, my status as a mandatory report would put me in the position of making lots of judgment calls about how serious to take students updates. And what if some of my female students posted scandalous pictures of themselves? You can’t unsee what you have seen or unlearn what you’ve learned.

If I were to stay on Facebook I would probably end up deleting all my friends, pictures, and tightening up the security on my profile. Deleting all my friends and photos might sound extreme but I would only want the students to see me as “teacher” and not Nicholas’ friend from college or Devin’s ex-roommate. If I were to stay on Facebook I would implement Harriet L. Schwartz advice, only engaging students when they first engaged me.

Even though I am opting out of Facebook I recognize the need for digital hall monitors and digital mentors. Cyber-bullying is a huge problem and one that will only get worst until some sort of law is put into effect that clarifies where the authority of the school ends. For now, a teacher or administrator will have to be resourceful in trying to come up with solutions for each individual case. Teachers and districts need to circle the wagon and talk about innovative ways of deterring cyber-bullying. A strong online presence by teachers might prevent students from cyber-bullying on Facebook or Twitter but there is no great way to slow down the texting faction.

Social Networking offers a whole host of advantages and as teachers if we decide we are going to participate or utilize social networking it is important that we remember the standard we are held to. I think it is good that teachers are held to a high standard. I have no problem with Natalie Monroe losing her job. Whether or not she put their names the way she talked about her students is inexcusable. I believe that teaching is an important profession and so teachers should face intense scrutiny.

5 comments:

  1. Beau, I think it's interesting that you plan to totally eliminate your facebook account as a teacher, though I don't disagree with it at all. In fact, as I'm beginning to view myself more as a person in the education world, I went through and changed the settings on most of my own photos today, and wouldn't be opposed to getting rid of facebook altogether at some point. I don't think that even having a "strong online presence" of teachers would have an impact on cyberbullying; these kids are hiding behind the technology, and it's just out of control. We have our work cut out for us as educators trying to get their attention in the classroom and trying to build a sense of community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beau,

    While I understand the reason behind it, I don't agree with the need to delete your personal facebook page. I feel that you can keep your friends and family connection while also creating a new page to send parents and students to that would hold your "teacher life". I feel that it is a bit extreme to disapear from the social networking world completely. I'm sure your friends from afar would miss you! Would you agree or disagree? :)

    -Becca Shook

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~disappear~

    Becca again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree. People can always email me. Facebook has always kind of weird-ed me out (I don't like being on both sides of the seen/being seen dyad), and now I feel like I finally have a solid reason to shut it down. Let me say again that I think it is important that we have educators on Facebook, modeling appropriate social networking, but that's not me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I feel that when people who love me don't see me everyday on their Facebook they will miss me and this may make them seek me out to spend time with me.

    ReplyDelete