Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Presentation Styles

Though I did not enjoy giving yet another presentation (not to say that I dont like presenting, but I'm ready to get more into the TEACHING rather than the lecture aspect of it), I did enjoy getting a little bit of insight into everyone's subject content.  It brought me back to high school a little bit when we would briefly touch on a certain topic, and then move on to a new subject.

Some of the best things I saw during the presentations was the willingness to experiment with new formats. With the exception of myself and Jon, I think everyone else used a presentation mode (prezi) that they had never used before.  I also enjoyed the incorporation of video clips into the presentations, as they were used effectively to emphasis certain aspects of the presentations. I really enjoyed Becca's presentation on the water cycle, particularly how it was broken down step-by-step, which made it very easy to learn.  I also enjoyed the way Stephanie used the different examples to display how much of a wide variety her topic had to offer.

One thing that I did not think was very effective was the use of audio clips in our presentations, I think only Stephanie used her's effectively, and it seemed like everyone else threw one in to satisfy the assignment.  I think if the topic would benefit from an audio clip then it should have been required and included, but many subjects were forced to add an audio clip when it was not beneficial to their presentation at all.

After viewing everyone else's presentations, I would improve my presentation by spending more time on treating and preventing stress, rather than on what stress is and its effects.  I think the audience would have benefited more by learning in-depth about what they could treat or prevent stress.  The next time I would do this project I would probably choose a different subject to present on.

I really enjoy using powerpoint to present information because it provides visual information while you are lecturing.  I like how simple it is to add text, video, audio, ect, which makes it the most likely candidate for use in the future.  I dont see myself using Prezi or the Smartboard format because I like the linear direction that powerpoint provides, as well as the simplicity of putting a presentation together.  Since I already know how to put together a powerpoint well, I dont see myself wanting to discover a new mode of presentation.  However, the big drawback with using powerpoint is that is does not allow for much student interaction...it is solely a lecture tool.

After doing this project, I believe the best way (for me) to present a lecture is using powerpoint.  I think the more multi-media I can include in the powerpoint, the more effective the overall lecture will be.  Powerpoint provides the structure that I am looking for in a presentation tool.  I think I would probably use it a couple times a week in each class.  Since it is linear, it would allow you to stop at a certain spot, and pick right back up where you left off in your next class; and though the class might drift off topic, slides would quickly bring us back on task.  Powerpoint can also be used in segments throughout a class, not necessarily lecturing the whole class.  You can introduce a topic, then get into an activity, then go back to powerpoint to introduce a new topic.  In general, I think the format that powerpoint presents is the most effective, it is the simplest to put together, and I already have experience using it; so it is difficult to see myself using a different lecture aid than powerpoint.

1 comment:

  1. Morgan,

    I'd just like to start off by saying I really enjoyed your post, and your presentation! I would like to commment on the fact that you like PowerPoint because of its linear nature... Based on what we have been learning this semester, it seems to me that some students don't learn as well if presented with information in a linear form. Prezi, and Smartboard, allow information to be presented in a more multi-directional way that engages the students who are used to learning in this way. Although PowerPoint may be what you are used to, don't you think it could be beneficial for your students to get some lectures using a non-linear method?

    -Becca

    ReplyDelete