Saturday, July 16, 2011

Social Networking in the Classroom

The advantages of using social network tools in classrooms greatly outweighs the issues it may cause.  Though many of the problems produced by social networks can be detrimental to a child's learning, they can also be eliminated, or at least limited if ground rules are in place and enforced.  Just like in a normal classroom environment, if rules are not imposed and followed, chaos will inevitably occur. Harriet Schwartz suggests that "Facebook truly is an extension of the classroom in which all kinds of connections take place, some routine and some substantial."  Though you may only reach students in a limited way, that connection is likely more than what the student would have experienced in a traditional classroom.  Using facebook in the classroom can not only be a great way to teach children material, but also how to represent themselves in a social environment in a positive way as well.

If I were to incorporate a social network into my teaching repertoire (I am definitely planning on it), the first precaution I would take is to create a professional account that will only be used for classroom-related activities.  Schwartz would agree, saying: "In my experience, students appreciate my accessibility and without question respect my boundaries."  Just as we create a professional e-mail and phone number, we should also do the same for social networks.  If we ask students to not cross certain boundaries, I find it difficult to believe they would not stand by those boundaries that are established.  This is a simple solution that eliminates many issues that commonly result from combining teaching with social networking.  With social networking being so popular today, when teachers decide against implementing it in their classroom, they are giving up one of their most effective tools: "As we have become firmly rooted in the technology tools of the 21st century social networking has evolved to be an integral part of our reality" (Carter, 682).

When it comes to holding teachers to higher standards than other professionals, not only do I agree that it does happen, but I also believe it should happen as well!  Outside of a child's parents, often teachers are their next largest influence.  I do not know a single person who aims at emulating an accountant or teller at a bank.  No disrespect to those professionals (or any other type for that matter), but when it comes to a child's life, those who influence them the most need to be held in the highest regard.  Those who choose to enter the profession of teaching should not only accept that responsibility, but desire it.

To be honest, the first time I even heard the term "cyber-bullying" was in this class.  I have had such a positive experience with online networking that I didn't even consider the alternative.  When I read that about 1 out of 5 middle schoolers have been affected by it I was shocked!  When something potentially harmful is so prevalent in classrooms, we have no choice but to be aware of it, and do our best to limit it as much as we can. I am hoping to eliminate (or at least limit) the potential for cyber-bullying in my classroom.  If rules are implemented and upheld, I dont envision cyber-bullying being much of an issue.  However, if it does occur, I am not afraid intervene; I would much rather be blamed for being too proactive about abuse, than to be on the other side, indifferent to an issue that may be causing harm.  If I am accused of being too proactive in protecting my students then that is something I can live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment