Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Digital Status

I definitely consider myself a digital native.  Since I can remember, I have always been interested in the latest and greatest that technology has to offer.  As a child, I was a HUGE sports nerd, so I was always concerned about what was happening around the country (and sometime the world) at all times.  This led me to be dependent on various types of technology, and began to spark my interest in it.  Whether it is computer games, video games, cyberspace, or even communication methods (such as cell phones, skype, ETC) I not only embrace technology, but I even have a small passion for it.  I've always viewed technology as something we will all obviously depend on in the future...Yet, I am always dumbfounded why there are still those who choose not to embrace it.  "Digital Immigrants typically have very little appreciation for these new skills that the Natives have acquired and perfected through years of interaction and practice" (Digital Natives, 2).  Those who do not have the passion for technology, or are at least willing to adopt aspects of it, will have a very difficult time in the future, not only in teaching, but in life in general!

Not only was my educational experience drastically different between high school and college, but the difference in technology used was even greater!  In high school, the most advanced use of technology included an overhead-projector and an erasable marker..and if a classroom was really on the edge we had a digital projector.  At the University of Oregon, however, most of my classes were equipped with state of the art projectors, typically incorporated clicker technology, and occasionally used smart-boards.  In my last term before I graduated, one of my professors used technology seamlessly.  He created a detailed website for the class, which included the syllabus, our class schedule, daily assignments, attachments to read, videos to watch, and even an up to date grade book.  Though it seems like that SHOULD be said for every class I took at the University level, it was definitely not the case.  His ideas for how technology could be used in the classroom were very basic, but it was how he used them that made his teaching so effective.  I truly believe that I learned more from this adjunct professor than I did from any other throughout my 5 years in college, in large part due to his incorporation of the digital world.

After reading the articles by Marc Prensky, I wouldnt say that his ideas have changed my mind about using technology in classrooms, but they reiterate that it is a necessity in order to reach all of our students.  "All the students we teach have something in their lives that’s really engaging -- something that they do and that they are good at, something that has an engaging, creative component to it" (Engage, 62).  Therefor it is our job as teachers to access what truly engages them, and use it as a tool in teaching them...to reach them in the best way THEY know how, and not the best way WE know how.  As a line from Pay Attention states: "why not use the technology that our students love to teach more effectively?" (Pay Attention, 2:59). 

As a teacher, in addition to a class website (similar to the one my previously mentioned professor used) I plan on using social networks, such as Facebook, extensively in my teaching...first of all it is an AWESOME tool for getting to know your students, their passions, dislikes, ETC.  It is also useful for many things like establishing online discussions, posting certain projects online, and even reminders on homework or project due dates.  One aspect of incorporating technology into a classroom is the accessibility a student may or may not have to that technology when they are away from school.  I love Stephanie's ideas of utilizing devices such as podcasts, social media, ETC, but how do I provide the same education to a student without the availability of those resources?  Can I not make the use of technology mandatory?  Can I ask those students who do not have access to go to a library, which ends up being a much bigger task than the other students are given?


References
Prensky, M. (2001). Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants. On the Horizon (Vol. 9, No. 5).
Prensky, Marc. "Engage me or Enrage me: What Today's Learners Demand." Educause Sep. 2005: 60-64.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT2E2F0DmyE

No comments:

Post a Comment